What is Ragging?
Ragging as we all known as a social interaction between seniors and juniors in schools and colleges. An interaction which can take very brutal, inhuman and anti-social form at times. Even some of the highly reputed colleges and institutions have a terrible history of ragging.
Responsibilities of our College
BEFORE AND DURING ADMISSION
ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE and ANTI-RAGGING SQUAD
COMPLAINT OF RAGGING
Our institute has been free from this menace because of the active cooperation of the faculty, students, parents and staff. We also continually make an effort to free our campus from all kinds of toxins viz. ragging, consumption of liquor, etc.
In our Institute if any student is found indulging in any activity, which comes in the category of ragging, then he/she becomes liable to any or all of following punishments:
- Suspension or expulsion from the hostel or the Institute,
- Withholding of results,
- Debarring from representation in events,
- Withholding scholarships or other benefits, or
- Anything which the Disciplinary Committee finds suitable as per the enquiry conducted.
- FIR to be filed with Police on receipt of complaint
As per the Report of the Raghavan Committee on ragging, constituted by Honorable Supreme Court of India, it is mandatory for the institutions to get an undertaking from parents of all the students of first year stating that their ward would refrain from any activity leading to an act of ragging. UGC rules also provide for stringent punishment if any student is found to be indulging in ragging.
Measures to Eliminate Ragging
- Ragging Prevention Committee: A Ragging Prevention Committee (RPC) is formed every year. This committee functions actively from the date of start of the session.
- A separate committee of senior students is formed each year to assist the Ragging Prevention Committee. They act as the eyes and ears of the faculty committee. Besides, they are also involved in educating their colleagues. They are also assisted by senior student volunteers from amongst their own colleagues.
- Every teacher and staff member is obliged to do this duty twice a month.
- Principal, Dean and Warden and tutors keep on joining this team periodically.
- Separate meetings of senior faculty with first year and second year students are held in the very beginning of the session and then periodically to sensitize them against ragging. This act is publicized through posters both inside and outside the neighbourhood of the campus.
- Student(s) mentor bodies are formed wherein a group of seniors, who can motivate and inspire the fresher, is entrusted with the task of guiding and helping them.
- Formal interaction among first year and other year students in the presence of institute authorities is arranged.
- Literary and cultural activities with the joint participation of seniors and juniors, and boys and girls are held periodically in the guidance of faculty.
Thus in this college we are all equal partners in preventing ragging, thereby maintaining an ragging free environment.
Helpline Contact Details
Mrs. B.N.Prasanna Kumari
Ms. J. Ramadevi
Lecturer & Hostel In-charge, EBMCON